Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I wish I could just party all day and never work.

     I had an interview at Casey’s on Monday. Afterward, the manager said I could have the job, but she’s okay with giving me 24 hours to think about it. I took the offer. Who knows what would happen in the next 24 hours, right? The next day Dr. Virgin’s Chiropractic office calls me.  They’re interested in hiring me as an assistant. I go in for another interview, but not before I called Casey’s and asked for an extra day. Teresa, the manager, said that would be fine. The interview with Dr. Virgin went great, but I made sure that he was aware that I would need to know by the next day so I could tell Casey’s yes or no. Also, I don’t want to say no to the Casey’s job, not get the assistant job, and be out of a job altogether. He said that would probably be a problem since he has more interviews on Thursday, but that he would let me know.
As you can imagine, I was extremely nervous after that since I would much rather work at Dr. Virgin’s than Casey’s. Steph came over for awhile, and then Todd came over and took Ray out to My Place (the bar) to drink and play pool. About 2 hours later, Ray called and asked me to come out. See, I normally don’t do that. I have social anxiety disorder. I don’t like crowds. I don’t like people. People don’t like me. However, since I was nervous about the whole job thing, I got ready and went out. I had about 3 beers at the bar. Well, actually, I’m not totally for sure how many I had because Ray and Todd made sure that my mug was never empty. Then Todd met this guy named Brent at the bar, and he invited the three of us over to his place to hang out and get drunk. Apparently this guy has some killer alcohol. To my own disbelief, I was like, sure, let’s go! But first, we went to Trails, yet another bar, where I had a vanilla vodka and diet Pepsi and played a game of pool with Ray. By the time we left and headed for Brent’s, I was already pretty tipsy. I’m such a lightweight. We all end up drinking this vodka I picked out of Brent’s stash that had a piece of actual wood in the bottle! This stuff was so smooth, I didn’t even need a chaser after taking a shot. I think I had 3, but it could have been more. The whole night is such a blur. I do remember the major events, though. Finding out that Brent is actually Brent Chumley, who, well, I’ll just insert this little bio I found about him:

Brent ChumleyBrent Chumley is an artist from Taylor Springs Illinois. He received a Bachelor's Degree in Art & Design from Southern Illinois U. at Edwardsville. He continued his education at St. Louis Comm. College at Meramec in digital art and graphic design. Brent has been doing professional art since the age of 14 and has been working in the gaming industry as an illustrator for the past 4 years. He has worked with a number of companies including: Wizards of the Coast (D&D core line, upcoming Eberron line), Steve Jackson Games, Mongoose Publishing, Mystic Eye Games, Assassin Miniatures, Eric E. Knight's Vampire Earth game, Dragon Dog Press, etc.... Brent has also produced the cover painting for the role-playing game 1632 by Battlefield Press based on the novel by our Author Guest of Honor Eric Flint! When not producing art Brent enjoys playing those games that he works for and singing for a recording hard rock band.  Brent was the Artist Guest of Honor at Icon in 2002 and the Artist Guest of Honor at St. Louis’s DieCon in 2005.”

So that’s one of the major things. The second was the fact that Todd was hanging all over me, and apparently even tried to kiss me once, according to Ray, and that really upset him. I remember him being all over me, but I’m just going to chalk it up to being single, drunk, and alone. Third was Brent asking me to design a website for him, and asking Ray to be in his band. And fourth, the big one, me puking in Brent’s bathroom… four times… I think.  LOL
Anyway, so I get up this morning, and still inebriated and hung over at the same time, I remember the whole Casey’s/Dr. Virgin’s office situation. I got highly impatient, and at about 11 I called Dr. Virgin’s for an update, and he said that he just couldn’t justify canceling the Thursday interviews.  I said that was fine, and that if he would want me to come back in for a second interview, I would. I mean, if Dr. Virgin offers me the job, I’ll just put two weeks in at Casey’s and then I’m gone. I don’t want to stay there. Not that there’s anything wrong with Casey’s…it’s just not my thing, you know. So anyway, yeah, I start at Casey’s at 9 am tomorrow.  Whoo-hoo!
Oh, and one more thing, Ray won 20 dollars in a pool tournament tonight!  Go Ray!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home