Friday, September 09, 2005

What else can go wrong?

     Yesterday, I made a quick run to IGA to get some soda and ice.  All I take is my little card holder that has my debit card and driver’s license and what not.  When I’m done, as I just finished backing out of my parking space, I look to my right, and this huge truck backs into me, lifting me up off the ground.  I scream and honk, and after what seems like forever, he pulls up so I can be level with the ground again. I get out, hoping there’s no or minimal damage, but alas, a huge crater above the right passenger tire. I went to reach for my cell phone, then remembered that for the first time ever, I didn’t bring it. I’ll never make that mistake again. I went over and got the guy’s insurance and went inside Dollar General to use their phone to call the police and leave a message on the CallWave for Ray (since I couldn’t call his cell phone because it’s long distance.)  The cop shows up, and while I’m waiting for the guy to write up the report, I have to listen to the old man who was driving the truck, “I just didn’t see her, and I don’t think she saw me either” over and over again. But here’s the thing, and I was to shook up then to realize it, but thankfully I did while I was on the phone with State Farm: I was done backing up and was completely perpendicular with the other parked cars when he ran into me diagonally. That means I backed out first. Unfortunately, as my State Farm agent said, it probably won’t be that they’ll put 100% of the blame on the old man because we were both backing out, it was on private property, and there weren’t any witnesses. Even if they found out that he was at fault, I’d still have to pay my $50 deductible. I just hope my rates won’t go up. I should hope not. It the fault was 50/50, it shouldn’t, or if it was all him, it shouldn’t, and I don’t see how they can put blame on me. Oh, and as I was leaving to go back home, I heard a guy yell. I looked to my right, and here was Ray, running in sandals all the way from home to make sure I was okay.  Isn’t he sweet? And I was okay. So is the car, except for the huge crater of course, but at least it’s not on the door. We do have to drive to the Cardinals game tonight with a huge embarrassing dent in the car, though. Can anything else go wrong in the next few days?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home